1. Take a deep breath. If you are unsure what to do, or don’t have anyone with whom you can talk, try calling Backline’s free, confidential, nonjudgmental options-counseling hotline.
2. If you want to terminate your pregnancy, you’ll need to work quickly. The sooner your appointment, the cheaper it will be.
3. Try using an online pregnancy calculator to estimate how many weeks pregnant you are.
4. Do you have insurance? If so, see if your policy will cover your procedure.
- What is the soonest appointment you can make?
- How much will your procedure cost?
- If applicable, do they accept your insurance?
- Which payment methods does the clinic accept?
- Does the clinic offer any discounts for certain patients, and if so are you eligible to receive one?
6. Take a deep breath. Think about how much money you have, and whether you need to raise more before your appointment. If so, this list has a lot of ideas we encourage you to pursue. It may be worth calling another clinic to see if they are a better option for you.
7. If you have an appointment with a NAF clinic, you can call NAF’s funding hotline to see if you’re eligible for assistance. They get a lot of callers, so take some time to call in the early morning or later in the evening, and call back continuously until you can speak with a hotline operator.
8. If you are still short, or if you have a Planned Parenthood appointment, call DC Abortion Fund’s free, confidential patient assistance talkline at 202-452-7464. A case manager will return your call and can work with you to raise the funds. We get a lot of callers each day, and may be able to help you with a small clinic grant.
9. Take a deep breath. Don’t give up. Together we can do this.