The DC Abortion Fund (DCAF) is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization that makes grants to women and girls in DC, Maryland, and Virginia who cannot afford the full cost of an abortion. We operate a free, confidential helpline staffed by highly trained volunteer case managers, and after determining whether a caller is eligible for funding assistance, we send patient grants directly to clinics. DCAF is the only organization in the DC region that focuses solely on providing this service for women in our community.
DCAF affirms women as decision-makers. When women choose to have an abortion, they face a multitude of state and national restrictions designed to deny their access to it. These restrictions disproportionately affect low-income women. We hope to make “choice” a reality because we believe that a woman’s right to health care should not depend on her wallet.
DCAF believes in fully embodying the pro-choice principle by:
- Offering an equitable distribution of direct financial assistance in the form of grants to women seeking abortion services who are unable to raise the full amount of the procedure themselves;
- Raising awareness in the DC metropolitan area about how abortion restrictions – like the Hyde Amendment which limits or forbids Medicaid coverage of abortion services – harm women’s health and are linked to a rollback of women’s rights.
We have 7 volunteer board members who oversee DCAF’s work. The board supervises our helpline case managers and organizes events and campaigns to raise money for the small grants we disburse. The Board of Directors is joined by a task force of highly dedicated volunteers: case managers, a pro bono attorney, an accountant, a graphic designer, and a few great bloggers.
Who is eligible for DCAF assistance? How do I get funding for an abortion?
- Residents of DC, Maryland, and Virginia
- Women coming to the DC region from outside of the above areas will also be eligible for funding; – 9+ weeks into the pregnancy with priority given to women in the second trimester
- A trained DCAF case manager will provide financial resource counseling to assess a caller’s financial need, and can pledge funding assistance accordingly
- Exceptions to these requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis.